After the release of the beta veriosn of Windows 8 by Microsoft with the new interface code named Metro UI, a developer at the DevianART website has created a conky theme inspired by the Windows 8 Metro UI interface.
In this guide we will help you install the Metro Style Conky Theme on Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) and Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal).
Windows 8 Metro Style Conky Theme Installation
1. Let's first install Conky on Ubuntu using this command:
sudo apt-get install conky-all
2. Via the terminal, create a hidden conky folder in your home folder using this command:
3. Access it now with this command:
3. Inside this hidden folder (.conky), we need to download the conky theme and unzip it there:
4. Run now these two commands to make the conky.sh and mail.sh files executable:
chmod +x conky.sh
chmod +x mail.sh
5. Edit now the mail.sh file and enter your Gmail account details (username and password) using this command:
sudo gedit mail.sh
Save your file and close it.
6. To start conky, run now this command:
Making The Windows 8 Metro Style Conky Theme Loads Automatically At Startup
To start the Windows 8 Metro Style Conky theme automatically, follow these instructions:
1. Using the dash, open Startup Applications:
2. Click Add:
3. Give the theme any name of your choice (Windows 8 Metro Style, for example), then click Browse:
4. Press Ctrl + H to show hidden files and folders, access the ".conky" folder and open the "conky.sh" file:
5. Click Add:
6. The Windows 8 Metro Style Conky widget will now start automatically at system startup.