Roboto is the name given to the font introduced in the latest Google Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich OS for tablets and smartphones. This sans-serif typeface family is described by Google as clean, modern and emotional.
In this tutorial we will show you how to install Roboto on Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot. Roboto will render your menus and apps readable, and will be very helpful for Ubuntu users owning small screens (tablets, netbooks).
Roboto Font Installation
1. Download and unzip the archive file for the Roboto font with these commands:
sudo unzip roboto-fonts.zip -d ~/.fonts
2. If Gnome Tweak Tool is not installed, run this command from the terminal:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool
3. Start now Gnome Tweak Tool via the Unity dash, or run it from terminal with this command:
4. Select the Fonts tab and click Defualt font > Ubuntu:
5. In the font search box, type roboto to display available options:
- Roboto Bold Italic
- Roboto Bold
- Roboto Italic
Select one of them and click Select:
6. Your default system font is now changed to Roboto.