Air Video is a server that allows users to stream videos in any format to your iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch. No need to send these videos to your device in order to watch them.
Videos with unsupported formats will be converted on the fly, you can watch videos while being converted. In this tutorial, we will see how to install Air Video on Ubuntu 11.04, but you can also install it on later versions of Ubuntu (10.10/10.04).
1. Launch the Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run these commands to install Air Video on Ubuntu 11.04:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:rubiojr/airvideo
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install airvideo-server
2. To start Air Video, search it using the dash:
3. Once launched, an icon for Air Video will be displayed in the upper panel, right-click it and select Start Server:
4. To configure your server, run this command via the Terminal:
sudo gedit /opt/airvideo-server/AirVideoServerLinux.properties
5. Now install Air Video on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch and add this server to start watching videos. Enjoy!