To access the Terminal rapidly, you can install a drop-down terminal, in the same way as consoles we find in FPS games. This can be done with the help of Tilda which allows to display a terminal on screen with a single keypress.
1. Launch the terminal and install Tilda with this command:
sudo apt-get install tilda
2. Search the dash for "tilda" and open it.
3. A configuration window will pop-up, open the Keybindings tab to select a different keyboard key for launching the treminal. Click Grab keybinding, then press any key of your choice. F1 is selected by default. You can also check Appearance and Colors tabs to customize the look of the Terminal. When done, click Close.
4. Now you can use the selected key to display or hide the terminal. The terminal will appear just below the upper panel, next to Unity Launcher.
5. To bring up the configuration window, right-click on the terminal and select Preferences.
You can apply this tip on Ubuntu 11.04/10.10/10.04.