In this tutorial, we will see how to use GParted on Ubuntu to format a USB flash drive using many filesystems. If you haven't already installed GParted on Ubuntu 11.04/10.10/10.04, then launch the Terminal and run this command:
sudo apt-get install gparted
1. Plug-in your USB stick you want to format to your computer.
2. Launch GParted and from the top right dropdown menu, select /dev/sdb.
3. Right-click now on your USB flash drive partition and select Unmount.
4. Right-click again the partition and select this time Format to > Filesystem (ext2, ext3, ext4, FAT16, FAT32, linux-swap, NTFS, etc.).
5. After selecting a filesystem you want to format to, click the Apply button.
7. Wait now while your disk is being formatted. When done, click Close.