In this tutorial, we will see how to make Gimp (2.6.x) open in a single window under Ubuntu 11.04. To be able to run Gimp in a single window, we will need to install first this python script: GIMPBox, which will help us wrap the separate Gimp windows into one window.
1. Launch the Terminal and run these commands to install GIMPBox:
sudo apt-get install python-wnck
sudo wget http://gimpbox.googlecode.com/hg/gimpbox.py -O /usr/local/bin/gimpbox
sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/gimpbox
2. Using the dash, search for "main menu" and open it:
3. Under the Graphics section, select GIMP Image Editor and click Properties.
4. In the command area, replace gimp-2.6 %U with this command: gimpbox %U
Then click Close
5. From now on, Gimp will open in a single window.